Sunday, I spent most of the day stripping paint from the detail trim areas on the door with some Citri-strip and it worked pretty well. During which, I had time to play on the lathe while the stripper was working. Earlier in the week, Anna had tweeted (I think that’s where it was?) about some very cool cast-iron candle holders from IKEA. I really like cast-iron pieces, and these were very intriguing. So, on my way to scope the IKEA ‘as-is’ section, I saw them nearby and bought a couple sets. Once I got them home, I found the base was really rough (as you would expect), but were also hollow – so you couldn’t felt them either. I had plans for them on my credenza, but this way, they seemed to be perfect FFFs (Fine-Furniture Fuckeruppers). So, as I was messing around in the shop, I just figured I’d make some bases for them.
I tried experimenting, but realized simple might be best – Western Walnut, turned to mimic the cast-iron shape. I’d love to have them sans base, but until I have that dent-proof, marble-topped Knoll credenza, these will make do.