Badger Lake, Oregon

badgerlake_title

It’s been a while since a good canoe trip post, and I’ve been sitting on some pics from a late summer trip to Badger Lake. This was the last trip with my old Mad River canoe, and with so much going on here lately, I’ve had few opportunities to get out in the new one.

Badger Lake is a tiny lake in Mt. Hood National Forest. There’s an easy way to get there, and there’s the iPhone maps way to get there… which is long and arduous. I recommend following the Forest Service directions and map your route accordingly. We had the Land Cruiser packed up with camping gear and the canoe on top and it was a sometimes ridiculously slow route along the old fire roads. Some bowling ball sized rocks and a 4mph downshift to 1st makes for a long trip. Probably added an hour or more to our supposed trip time. It was fun bumping around like that, but just be ready – It seemed to take forever.

After rolling into camp, we found it to be unexpectedly crowded considering the crazy way in… Though the weather was perfect and after finding out there was a much less treacherous way in, it made sense that you’d see a couple mini-vans. Luckily there was a site open and we unpacked for the night. Campsites were close to the lake, and there’s a good area to park and unload too. No ramps of course, and motors are prohibited on this lake.

 

filed as: , , , , , ,   ||   1 Comment

Land Cruiser Oven Roof

headliner_title

The Land Cruiser has a huge glass moonroof that is great in the cloudy Portland winter. Well, besides leaking like a son-uva-bitch. Anyway, in the summer, that thing bakes. There’s no cover and since my farmer’s tan is bad enough, it was time to fix this problem.

I didn’t even see if Toyota ever made one because I figured it’d be more fun and cheaper to make something. Bought some 2mm plastic sheeting at Tap Plastics in the lightest opaque color possible. Tried using some windshield foil sun deflector material first, but it was just too flimsy to stay up there. Cut to size, and notched it for a little grab point. Using my beastly sewing machine, I make a channel in the middle with a slightly bent piece of the plastic. I thought that would be enough strength, but with the heat, it still sagged a bit. I had a piece of threaded rod in the shop that I wasn’t using, and just fed it into the channel and it worked great for support.

Next steps, I bought some Pendleton fabric at the Woolen Mills outlet. It took about $30 worth to cover the panel. It would’ve been nice to bind the edge, but since it was going to be tucked into the roof channel, no one would see it. I just taped it over in place and sewed through. Finally, I sewed a couple long stitches to keep the material from sagging as I didn’t want to use any glue or adhesive since it was going to back in the sun.

filed as: , , ,   ||   7 Comments