The Land Cruiser has a huge glass moonroof that is great in the cloudy Portland winter. Well, besides leaking like a son-uva-bitch. Anyway, in the summer, that thing bakes. There's no cover and since my farmer's tan is bad enough, it was time to fix this problem.
I didn't even see if Toyota ever made one because I figured it'd be more fun and cheaper to make something. Bought some 2mm plastic sheeting at Tap Plastics in the lightest opaque color possible. Tried using some windshield foil sun deflector material first, but it was just too flimsy to stay up there. Cut to size, and notched it for a little grab point. Using my beastly sewing machine, I make a channel in the middle with a slightly bent piece of the plastic. I thought that would be enough strength, but with the heat, it still sagged a bit. I had a piece of threaded rod in the shop that I wasn't using, and just fed it into the channel and it worked great for support.
Next steps, I bought some Pendleton fabric at the Woolen Mills outlet. It took about $30 worth to cover the panel. It would've been nice to bind the edge, but since it was going to be tucked into the roof channel, no one would see it. I just taped it over in place and sewed through. Finally, I sewed a couple long stitches to keep the material from sagging as I didn't want to use any glue or adhesive since it was going to back in the sun.